Sunday, August 28, 2016

Sunday Salon: Book Hangover

Musing for this week's Sunday Salon.


After finishing Kids of Appetite (review), I've been in a book hangover, and can't settle with another book.  First, I tried the library-magazine recommended Security by Gina Wohlsdorf and found it dull.  (If I'd looked it up on Amazon or Goodreads first, I'd never have tried it.)

I picked up StormDancer by Jay Kristoff.  He's co-writer of Illuminae which I loved (review), and I wanted to try his solo works.  It was interesting, but I felt like I needed to know Japanese mythology to appreciate it.  I just floundered in the few chapters I read.

After that, I excitedly picked up Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas. This is the high-rated second book in the Throne of Glass series, the first of which I quite enjoyed. (review)  I know it must just be me, but. . . I could not become invested in the same characters that I cared so much about in the first book.  In addition, I had read what the third book was about and the blurb caused a huge spoiler for this book, which didn't help this book become any more interesting.

Next on my list was Gail Carringer's Etiquette & Espionage, the supposedly delightful beginning to a supposedly delightful series.  Just like Soulless, it was a silly bit of fluff and, though it made me laugh, I abandoned it after a few chapters.

Then I picked up a Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab.  This Savage Song (review) was so excellent, and I had high hopes for this series.  The premise is interesting, and Schwab's writing is great, but. . . Again, I know it's just me but I couldn't stay focused on it.

I've got about ten more library books checked out, but instead, I'm reading one of my unread Little sisters novels to get me back in the reading saddle.  These sisters wrote slapstick mysteries during the 1940's and 50's.  They plot well and the characters are always bizarre and interesting.  The comedy isn't over done and generally balances the somewhat gruesome crimes that are the center of the story.
If this doesn't cure the hangover, I'm just going to read Kids of Appetite again!

Note all the flagged passages.