Sunday, June 25, 2017

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Never Let Me Go
Kazuo Ishiguro
3/5 stars

Told from the first person as a conversation with the reader, Never Let Me Go is about Kathy, remembering her childhood at Hailsham school.  Looking back, she seeks to understand the mysteries surrounding her preparation for entering the world.  Ishiguro slowly and carefully reveals bits of the story, and the reader stays curious up until the end.

As with the other novels I've read by Ishiguro, it was exceptionally well written.  However, I was disappointed with this one; I expected more from this Man Booker Prize finalist. I was unable to find an emotional connection to the characters, and I found the plot and conclusion, to be disappointing.  I kept waiting for a big reveal, and, to my mind, it just fizzled out.