Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Top Ten Tuesday: Best Books of 2021


I read ten five-star books this year.  Here they are, in no particular order:

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
This is a charming coming-of-age novel, beautifully penned, with  memorable characters.  I've read it several times, and each time I am again amazed at just how good it is.

The Killer and the Slain: a Strange Story by Hugh Walpole
Excellently written, disquieting and moving.  My full review is here.

The Murder of Mary Russell by Laurie R. King
Intelligent, compelling, and well-written.  King's greatest strength lies in her ability to weave together canon Holmes with her own inventions, as she does marvelously here. 

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch
This fantasy is smart, witty, geeky, and mostly incredible and, though not perfect, it's close enough.  My full review is here.

The Red Right Hand  by Joel Townsley Roberts
This classic mystery/thriller is a fantastic read, engrossing and impossible to put down!  My full review is here.

The Nine Tailors
by Dorothy L. Sayers
This is one of my favorites of the Lord Peter mysteries.  It is clever, intelligent, and excellently written, with an engrossing, memorable, and moving plot.  

Crooked House by Agatha Christie
It's well-plotted, presents an extraordinary surprise, and the pieces fit together well.  I highly recommend it!

Jutland Cottage by Angela Thirkell
As is always the case with her novels, this one is a charming, gentle read with genuine wit and a bit of snark. (Note: This series must be read in order.)

The Mingham Air by Elizabeth Fair
This delightful, witty novel is filled with excellently-drawn characters, believable situations, and intelligent prose.  My full review is here.

Resorting to Murder: Holiday Mysteries
edited by Martin Edwards
This is a wonderful collection of (mostly) Golden Age mystery short stories, with a wide variety of situations by an equally diverse set of authors.  My full review is here.



Bonus:
I discovered Abir Mukherjee's Sam Wyndham series this year and while I didn't give any of them a five star rating, I highly recommend these books.  Wyndham is a morally gray Detective Inspector stationed in Calcutta during the 1920s. In generally, this series is excellently written, with beautiful descriptions, solid prose, and well-drawn characters.

Links to my full reviews:



Top Ten Tuesday is a long-running weekly blog prompt, currently hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.