Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Victorian Literature Challenge Update

Here are the five I've chosen to read for this challenge. There may be different ones added as I go, but these five or ones I've been planning to read this year any way. :) (FYI: Queen Victoria reigned from 1837-1901, though the era didn't begin exactly with her ascent or end with her death.)

1. King Solomon's Mines, published 1885 (This is a cheat, in a way, as I started it before I joined this challenge.)

2. The Leavenworth Case, published 1878. Mrs. Green was one of the first writers of detective fiction in the U.S. and is given credit for shaping the genre into it's classic form, including the recurring series detective.

3. The Evil Genius, published 1886. Collins has long been a favorite of mine, I've not yet read this one and it will cross over to my What's in a Name Challenge for "a book with evil in the title".

4. The Mystery of a Hansom Cab, published c.1889 (I get differing reports of anywhere from 1886-1889). It was the most popular mystery of that century and prompted Doyle to try his hand at the genre.

5. Lilth, published 1895. I have long been planning to make time to reread this favorite.