Wednesday, March 1, 2017

February Wrap Up

I'm not quick to give a book a 5 star rating, so this has been exceptional month!

Books Read:
The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo 5/5 stars (my review here)

The Gilded Cage by Vic James 5/5 stars (my review here)

Mad Richard by Lesley Krueger 5/5 stars (my review here)

The Brandons by Angela Thrikell 4/5 stars (my review here)

Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey 5/5 stars (my review here)

Death of a Hussy by M.C. Beaton 3/5 stars
A quick, light read, not particularly satisfying or memorable, but fun.  In a way, I wonder why I continue this series, but on the other hand, Hamish is so likable.

Corto Maltese: Under the Sign of Capricorn by Hugo Pratt 3/5 stars (my review here)

Audio Books Completed:
Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson 5/5 stars
My review is here, but I'll take a minute to say that the author reads the audio book and does an awesome job!

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux 2/5 stars  (my review here.)

A Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George 3/5 stars
Despite this being an enjoyable and mostly satisfying novel, a chance encounter led to the solution, lessening the quality of the mystery.

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro 5/5 stars  (my review here)

Death of the Perfect Wife by M.C. Beaton 3/5 stars
Another light, easy to solve MacBeth mystery.  Enjoyable, but not memorable.

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James 4/5 stars  (my discussion here)

The Summons by Peter Lovesey 4/5 stars
Sometimes improbable, but thoroughly enjoyable.  Diamond is an engaging character and I'm loving the series.


Did Not Finish
Mrs. Tim of the Regiment, or, Leaves from the Diary of an Officer's Wife by D.E. Stevenson
I generally love light British novels from the 1930s, so I was excited when I discovered Stevenson, a best selling Scottish author.  This one just didn't interest me, though; Mrs. Tim writing in her diary about regimental life just wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.  That doesn't mean I won't try another of Stevenson's novels in the future, just not the Mrs. Tim series.

RoseBlood by A.G. Howard
This came in my January OwlCrate, and is a retelling of the Phantom of the Opera story.  It is simply dreadful, full of tropes and cliches.  I made it roughly half way through and couldn't stand the thought of opening it again.  Avoid this one at all costs.

The Napoleon of Notting Hill by G.K. Chesterton
I made it 27% through, but since I felt I never fully understood what was going on, I gave up.  It's not that it was bad, by any means, I just didn't seem to be able to follow what Chesterton was trying to say.  I might try it again sometime, though, since it's a classic.