Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Final Girls by Riley Sager

Final Girls
Riley Sager
projected publication date: July 2017
4/5 stars

Quinn was the only victim to survive a brutal mass murder ten years ago, though she remembers none of it.  The press refers to her as a "Final Girl".  Two other women have survived such ordeals: Lisa and Sam.  Lisa has reached out to Quinn, and they have talked a few times about how to live after such a tragedy.  When Lisa is found dead, apparently a suicide, Sam seeks out Quinn.  Lisa forms a tentative friendship with Sam, but as Sam pushes her to remember and encourages unsafe behaviors, Lisa begins to wonder what Sam's motives are.

On the face of it, this thriller seemed easy to solve.  Twice I was certain I knew exactly what direction it was headed, and both times the plot took a twist and I was wrong.  While not an outstanding novel, Final Girls kept me interested throughout, and I was eager to reach the conclusion.