Wednesday, November 1, 2017

October Wrap Up

Books Read:
The Marriage Bureau for Rich People by Farahad Zama  5/5 stars (my review here)

Brampton Wick by Elizabeth Fair  4/5 stars (my review here)

Audio Books Completed:
Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie  4/5 stars
This is the first mystery to feature Miss Marple, and is an intelligent and interesting one.  Even though it was a reread, I was kept guessing, often "knowing" who it must be, and having to change my mind.

The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis
I can't rate this series, as I am emotionally attached to these books.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
(See above.)

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King  3/5 stars (my review here)

The Storm King by Brendan Duffy  4/5 stars (my review here)

Did Not Finish:
Monsieur Beaucaire by Booth Tarkington
The plot was great, but Tarkington's way of writing Beaucaire's English was extremely distracting and I just simply could not finish it.  I read the summary on Wikipedia; it's a great plot if one can get past Tarkington's style.

The Victoria Vanishes by Christopher Fowler
This is the sixth in the Bryant and May series, and it starts off promising.  At around 2/3 of the way through, the murderer is unmasked satisfactorily, but then the story moves into a city-wide conspiracy theory that I just couldn't fully believe.  None of this series are completely plausible, but this one just went too far for me.