Thursday, November 30, 2017

November Wrap Up

Books Read:
The Many Conditions of Love by Farahad Zama   4/5 stars  (my review here)

Rhododendron Pie by Margery Sharp  3/5 stars
I'm ambivalent about this one; it was great at times and just okay at others.  I do want to read more of her adult books, though, after having read this one.

Marling Hall by Angela Thirkell  4/5 stars
In this witty, sometimes snarky, country house novel, Thirkell balances light romance with depictions of life during WWII.  It's charming, read-out-loud funny, and thoroughly entertaining.

Audio Books Completed:
Damsel in Distress by Carola Dunn  4/5 stars
Daisy's friend, Phillip, finds himself kidnapped along with the young heiress he wishes to marry.  Being set free, he enlists the aid of Daisy and their friends to locate and save his beloved.  This is a very improbable book, and the culprit is obvious from the start, but it's still lively and enjoyable as has been the series thus far.

The Horse and His Boy by C. S. Lewis
As I said last month, I'm too emotionally attached to these books to be critical of them.

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier   3/5 stars
I'm ambivalent about this one, too.  Du Maurier is a favorite author, and I somehow hadn't read this one.  Parts were brilliant, but it was too long in some places and didn't build up quite enough suspense.

Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis
See above.

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake  5/5 stars  (my review here)
This is a reread.

The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader" by C.S. Lewis

One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake 3/5 stars (my review here)