Sunday, June 2, 2019

May 2019 Wrap-Up


Books Read:
Death in Zanzibar by M.M. Kaye  (1959)  4/5 stars
In this novel, Dany is invited to visit her mother and step-father in Zanzibar for a relaxing vacation, but murder, suspense and danger follow her from England to Africa.  While at times absurdly unbelievable, Death in Zanzibar is consistently entertaining and atmospheric.  I enjoyed it much more than anticipated, and will certainly read more of Kay's mystery-adventures.

The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister  (2009) 4/5 stars  (my review here)

The Imperfectionist by Tom Rachman (2010) 4/5 stars (my review here)



Audio Books Completed:
Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton  (1911)  4/5 stars
This classic tells of a love triangle between Ethan Frome, his wife Zeena, and her cousin Mattie Silver.  Wharton's skill breathes life into the characters and the location, and gives an ending that makes this sad, short novel well-worth reading.

A Medal for Murder by Frances Brody  (2010)  4/5 stars
It is 1922 in England, and Kate Shackelton is hired to recover stolen goods. However, while investigating she becomes accidentally involved in murder.   Brody weaves the story between several points of view, which works surprisingly well.   This second of a series is charming and enjoyable; I was kept interested until the end.

The Ex by Alafair Burke  (2016)  3/5 stars  (my review here)

The Tropic of Serpents by Marie Brennan  (2014)  3/5 stars
This is the second in the "a Natural History of Dragons" series, and follows Isabella as she ventures into the swamp known as the Green Hell, in search of indigenous dragons.  The world of these novels is meticulously created, making for an excellent reading experience.  The main story line was engaging, but the politics (though well-explained) caused the story to lag at times.  It was still a pleasure, and I look forward to reading more in the series.

The Guardians of the Horizon by Elizabeth Peters  (2004)  4/5 stars
Amelia Peabody Emerson and her family travel to the Sudan in order to help a friend from a previous novel, who is living in the Lost Oasis.  Murder, intrigue, and royal politics involve them in an experience that the Emersons may not survive.  I have not read all the series up to this one, and was at a bit of a disadvantage in the beginning, as I tried to make sense of who everyone was and what the previous adventure of the Lost Oasis had been.  After that, however, it turned into an exciting adventure that was a pleasure to read.

Murder at the Brightwell by Ashley Weaver  (2014) 4/5 stars
Amory Ames is invited to visit the seaside by a friend from her past, and while there she becomes involved in a murder investigation.  Set in the 1930s, this has a lovely atmosphere, a rather good mystery, and likable characters.  Amory is in a failing marriage, however, and as a result there is much angst throughout the novel.  Otherwise, I enjoyed it, and will probably continue the series.

Congo by Michael Crichton  (1980) 3/5 stars
This is an enjoyable adventure tale, following a team of scientists and their guide as they navigate the terrors of the Congo in search for diamonds.  Crichton's genius -- which is certainly not for lyrical prose -- is his ability to mesh fact with fiction seamlessly.  Even though I only gave it three stars (due to the mechanical prose), it's great escapist fiction.



Did Not Finish:
The Story Hour by Thrity Umrigar
The first narrator of this novel is a Hidustani woman living in America, whose thoughts are related in an off-putting pigeon English,  I found it impossible to believe that Lakshmi would think in such language; she would, I would assume, think in perfect Hindi.  I quit only a few pages in.

The Bridal Wreath (Kristin Lavransdatter, book one) by Sigrid Undset
According to Goodreads, I am in the minority.  I simply could not get into this book.  It was deadly dull with poor writing, and I kept wondering how it won the Nobel Prize.  Perhaps if I had stuck with it, I would have loved it, too, but I simply couldn't.

Murder on Millionaire's Row by Erin Lindsey
This Gilded Age mystery was entirely too unbelievable and lacked authentic historical atmosphere.

Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler
I'm not sure why I picked this book - - it is a retelling of the Taming of the Shrew, Shakespeare's worst play - - but I did give it a try.  I wasn't impressed with the writing of what I did read, and the more I thought about the play, the less interested I became in the novel.
(My review of the play is here.)