Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn


Gone Girl
Gillian Flynn
2012
4/5 stars

On the day of their fifth wedding anniversary, Nick goes home to discover his wife, Amy, has disappeared, apparently in the midst of a struggle.  As the investigation progresses, he becomes the chief suspect, with no way to prove his innocence. 

Flynn is a talented writer, and creates a convincing sense of dread.  The story was told from two points of view, by fully credible characters in distinctly separate voices.  In fact, Nick and Amy were so believably unlikable that, eleven hours into a fifteen hour audio book, I nearly called it quits. I didn't care for the excessive vulgar language, either; it was so over-the-top that it was as if Flynn was simply trying to shock -- and I've heard "bitch" enough to do me a lifetime.  The story, though, kept me interested through out, and the ending was exactly what it should be.  Some of the surprises were not as unexpected as I think Flynn wanted, but overall, this domestic thriller was a satisfyingly unpleasant read.