Saturday, September 10, 2022

The Warden by Anthony Trollope



The Warden
 
Anthony Trollope
1855 
3/5 stars

Septimius Harding is an upright clergyman who is the devoted warden of a local charity.  John Bold, his young friend (and his daughter's suitor), becomes convinced that the charity is not being managed according the original intents, and involves Mr. Harding in the agony of a public debate.  

This, the first of the Chronicles of Barsetshire,  deals with a hot contemporary topic, and Trollope handles the subject well.  However, had this been the first novel I had read by him, it would probably have been my last.  Happily, I read the Palliser novels first (all six of which were five star reads for me), so I know what gems Trollope can write.  As it is, The Warden lacks the sparkle, humor, and charm of the Palliser books, and while still well-written, is not compelling.  Despite this, I will continue the series, in anticipation of great things to come.



Read as part of the Classics Club.  My explanation is here.