Monday, April 17, 2023

Word of the Week: Ratiocination

"Word of the Week" is a meme hosted by the Plain-Spoken Pen on Mondays in which we share a word that we find entertaining, enlightening, edifying, or just plain fun to say! 


Despite it being my second time reading Locked Rooms by Laurie R. King, I have found two great words used in it that I don't remember encountering previously.*  Last week's was recherché, while toward the end of the book I came across "ratiocination".  A search of several sites gives the following definition:

It was mentioned in conjunction with Sherlock Holmes, and I have to say, it's the perfect word to use side-by-side with such a man.

How about you?  Did you already know this word?  Have you run across any great words in the past week?



*I don't know whether to blame it on my sieve-like memory, or the fact that I listened to the audiobook version, and it is easy for me to forget things I don't see in print.  Either way, I got to discover a pair of new words!