Monday, April 10, 2023

Word of the Week: Recherché

"Word of the Week" is a meme hosted by the Plain-Spoken Pen on Mondays in which we share a word that we find entertaining, enlightening, edifying, or just plain fun to say! 


I've been rereading Locked Rooms (Laurie R. King) this past week, and ran across the adjective "recherché".  I was able to figure it out from context, but wanted to get a specific definition.  One problem, though. . .  I was listening to the audiobook, not reading, and I could not figure out how to spell "rare-char-shay"!  It took a lot of Googling, and an equal amount of laughter, before I finally came across it.


The audiobook reader is British, so I'm going to have to listen to an American speaker say it before I use it, but it's such a snazzy word that I hope I can remember it!

What about you?  Where you familiar with this one?  Did you find any good words this week?