Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Top Ten Tuesday: Animals

 Top Ten Tuesday is a feature hosted by Jana at That Artsy Reader Girl.

 


Today's Top Ten Tuesday challenge is to post ten books with animals on the cover or in the titles.  I narrowed this down to books in my personal library, so that I could post my own photos, and came up with five on the cover and five in the title.

Aesop's Fables by Aesop (6th Century BC)
This was a obvious choice, especially since I have such a gorgeous edition!  




Complete Tales and Poems by Edgar Allan Poe (published between 1827 and 1849)
How could a collected edition of Poe's stories NOT have a raven on the cover? 



The Loved One: An Anglo-American Tragedy (1948) by Evelyn Waugh
Waugh is a master of the satire, and this short novel about pet morticians is a prime example.  His black humor won't be for everyone, but I find him fantastic. (It's hard to see from this photo, but there are statues of both a cat and dog on the cover.)




Unexpected Magic (2004) by Diana Wynne Jones
Jones wrote delightful fantasy for children and adults.  I prefer her novel-length tales, but her short stories are still well worth reading.




The Water of the Wonderous Isles (1897) by William Morris
More famous for his textile designs, Morris was also an author of poetry, novels, and essays, whose fantasy influenced the modern genre.  I've not read this one, though I have read and enjoyed The Well at the World's End (1896).




The Tiger in the Smoke (1952) and Cargo of Eagles (1968) by Margery Allingham
The Tiger in the Smoke is my favorite of Allingham's mystery/adventure novels.  It was moving, tense, and well-written.  I can't remember anything about Cargo of Eagles, and though I thought I'd read all her Campion stories, I'm not certain that I did read this one.  (Don't you just love these Penguin editions?!)




Three Blind Mice and Other Stories (1950), The Under Dog and Other Stories (1951), and Cat Among the Pigeons (1959) by Agatha Christie
Dame Christie wraps up the list with three of her later mysteries.  I don't remember much about the two collections, but found Cat Among the Pigeons to be a five-star read.