Sunday, April 9, 2023

Six for Sunday: Delicious

This week's  Six for Sunday * topic is "delicious books" in honor of Easter treats.  Isn't that a fun topic?!

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (1964)
This was the first that came to mind.  I read it many times as a child, fascinated by all the candy descriptions.  I reread it in 2005, prior to watching the Johnny Depp version (which, while good, was no match for Gene Wilder's).  I remember that I enjoyed the book, but didn't find it as magical as I had as a kid.  Regardless, when thinking of delicious books, this is a must! 

Charlie, by Joseph Schindelman, from the first U.S. edition.



Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky (2002)
Kurlansky's premise, according to the blurb, is to show the ways that salt has shaped civilization.  This has been on my to-be-read shelf for a few years now, so I can't say if it's a good read or not, but to me, it sounds fascinating. 



The Taste of Conquest: The Rise and Fall of the Three Great Cities of Spice by Michael Krondl (2007)
In this book, Krondl focuses on Venice, Lisbon, and Amsterdam and their place in the exotic spice trade.  I've not read this one either, but have some background knowledge of the importance of Eastern spices to the Western world, so I'm looking forward to reading it.




Stalking the Wild Asparagus (1962) and Stalking the Healthful Herbs (1966) by Euell Gibbons
Gibbons, a favorite of my Mom, was an outdoorsman who promoted foraging for wild foods, with recipes and how-to information.  Most of what I know about these books was learned second-hand in childhood as tidbits from Mom.  When I saw these two at the used bookstore, I got super excited to be able to have my own copies!  



The Hobbit (1937) and The Lord of the Rings trilogy (published 1954 and 1955) by J.R.R. Tolkien 
How can I one discuss food in books without thinking of all the yummy meals eaten by Hobbits?






*Six for Sunday is a feature by Steph at A Little But A Lot