Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Top Five Wednesdays: Friendship

This week's Top Five Wednesday challenge is to celebrate some great literary friendships!  Here are the ones that first sprang to my mind.

The Bob-Whites of the Glen
The Trixie Belden series: originally authored by Julie Campbell, later by the Western Publishing in-house writers under the pseudonym of Kathryn Kenny.  (published between 1948 and 1986)
I didn't have a large circle of friends when I was young, so I was always so jealous of Trixie and hers.  I still think it would have been incredibly fun to belong to a "club" and do things as a group.





Holmes and Watson
The Sherlock Holmes series by Arthur Conan Doyle (published between 1887 and 1927)
If you've visited this blog much, you'll know my love of Holmes.  This friendship is important for the misanthropic Holmes, as he doesn't exactly make friends easily.  While he often dismisses Watson's intelligence and input, he needs Watson's companionship.  





Anne and Diana
Anne of Green Gables (1908) and Anne of Avonlea (1909), by Lucy Maude Montgomery 
This is such a sweet friendship, and though they realistically grow apart as they mature, they always have a special place in the other's heart.  I love the entire series, but especially the first books.




Bilbo and Gandalf 
The Hobbit (1937) and The Lord of the Rings trilogy (published 1954 and 1955) by J.R.R. Tolkien
Gandalf is an excellent friend to Bilbo.  He knows what the Hobbit needs, be it an adventure or saving from the power of the One Ring.  In return, he has a true and devoted friend in Bilbo.





Lorelei and Dorothy
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1925) by Anita Loos
I don't know that either lady is particularly good for the other, but my, don't they have quite the adventures?!  If you've seen the movie, you really should read the book; if you haven't, but like the 1920s, it's a definite must-read. I laughed out-loud just reading my review.