Sunday, April 30, 2023

April 2023 Wrap-Up

Books Read:
The Last Castle: The Epic Story of Love, Loss, and American Royalty in the Nation's Largest Home by Denise Kiernan (2017)  4/5 stars  (my review here)

Audiobooks Completed:
During the last half of April, I haven't felt motivated for a variety of reasons; then my laptop became unusable and I had to switch everything over to another; at the same time, I did way more playing of Valheim than I did of reading or blogging.*  For those reasons, I ended up not reviewing my rereads of the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie R. King, and am instead linking to my very brief previous reviews.  I will say that I enjoyed each one at least as much as I did originally and am getting great pleasure out of reading them straight, one after the other, instead of with other books read in between.  (The audiobook narrator, Jenny Stirlin, is fantastic, by the way, and makes the books come alive.) 

*I also discovered that I inexplicably stopped getting notifications of comments here on my blog for about two weeks, causing me to seem rude or uninterested in my visitors -- so sorry!


The Game
(2004)  4/5 stars  (April 2019 review can be found here.)

Locked Rooms (2005)   4/5 stars  (August 2019 review can be found here.)

The Language of Bees (2009)   4/5 stars  (November 2020 review can be found here.)

The God of the Hive (2010)   4/5 stars  (December 2020 review can be found here.)

Pirate King (2011)   4/5 stars  (January 2021 review can be found here.)

If you are interested in this series, start with low expectations, as the first two read like fan-fiction.  As the series progresses, however, they become well-written and engrossing.  Also note that they should be read in order.