Tuesday, December 1, 2020

November 2020 Wrap-Up

Books Read:

According to the Pattern by Grace Livingston Hill (1903)  3/5 stars   (my review here)

Arsène Lupin by Maurice Leblanc and Edgar Jepson (1909)  4/5 stars  (my review here)

Expiation by E. Phillips Oppenheim (1887)  4/5 stars
This Victorian novel follows the story of a man intent on vengeance at all costs, and the pain and distress he causes those around him.  Expiation is filled with romance, revenge, adventure, mystery, heartbreak, and, of course, melodrama.  The writing is not consistently strong and some of the characters are cardboard stereotypes, but the complex plot is compelling and the pace never drags. I enjoyed it tremendously from start to finish, and recommend it to all who appreciate this genre. 

 A Golden Argosy by Fred M. White (1886)  3/5 stars  (my review here)

The Blackout by Constance and Gwyneth Little (1951)  3/5 stars  (my review here)

The Language of Bees by Laurie R. King (2009) 4/5 stars
Mary Russell and her husband/partner, Holmes, become involved in an extremely personal case as they investigate a woman's disappearance and a bizarre religious cult.  This is more of a suspenseful adventure than a mystery, but it's compelling plot was engaging throughout. Russell is a delightful character, and her voice is natural and believable. Most of the action follows her alone,  but when Holmes is present, King, as usual, keeps his personality quite close to canon.  Overall, it's a great addition to this highly recommended series.  (Note: they must be read in order.)


Audio Books Completed:
A Keeper by Graham Norton (2018)  3/5 stars  (my review here)

The Moth Catcher by Ann Cleeves (2015)  3/5
Two seemingly unconnected men are murdered in the peaceful neighborhood of Valley Farm; not long after, a third murder occurs that seems to be tied to the two prior. The residents of the community are DI Vera Stanhope's focus, as she sorts out their secrets, their histories, and their lies.  The Moth Catcher is well written, as have been the six previous books of this series, but Cleeves does not provide enough clues to the essential connection.  I still enjoyed it -- Vera is a fantastic character -- but less than I have the others.

A Brazen Curiosity by Lynn Messina (2019)  4/5 stars  (my review here)


Lady Audley's Secret
by M.E. Braddon (1862)  5/5 stars
This is an astoundingly good Victorian melodrama.  It is well-written, has an intriguing and engrossing plot, and believable, flawed characters.   The "secret" is revealed early on, but the suspense that builds as the lead character tries to prove his theory is nicely done, and the story has several good twists.  I enthusiastically recommend this book to those who enjoy the genre, but would suggest not reading any descriptions, as I think the less known about the plot, the better the enjoyment.

The Seagull by Ann Cleeves  (2017)  4/5 stars
While I felt there were not enough clues given, it was still well-written and engrossing, and fleshed out even more of Vera's past.  I definitely recommend this series.


Did Not Finish:

The Foundling by Georgette Heyer
This is one of the few Heyer's Regency novels I had not read, and I was quite looking forward to it.  It's more of a coming of age story with lots of misadventures on the side.  I listened to a few hours of the audio book, but found myself anxious on the hero's account and not enjoying the experience as a result.  I'm putting it aside to try again another time. 

The Anatomist's Wife by Anna Lee Huber
I listened to a few hours of the audio book, but a lack of authentic pre-Victorian atmosphere made me unable to finish.