Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Top Ten Tuesday: Audiobook Narrators

Top Ten Tuesday is a feature hosted by Jana at That Artsy Reader Girl.

Today's Top Ten Tuesday top is "Top Ten Audiobook Narrators".  I listen to an average of 60 audiobooks a year, and believe me, I have definite preferences. I don't have ten favorites, but these six have never disappointed me. 

Hugh Frasier
My number one, hands-down favorite is Hugh Frasier.  He gives charming performances of Agatha Christie's mysteries and I simply love him. 



Timothy West, CBE
Well-known British actor Timothy West could almost oust Frasier as my favorite.  His stellar performance of Trollope's Palliser series just knocked my socks off.  (I get equally excited when I see him in a movie or British TV episode.)



Jenny Sterlin
Another firm favorite is immensely talented Jenny Sterlin.  I loved her narration of Diana Wynne Jones' Howl series, but she really shines reading the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie R. Kng.




Gerard Doyle
Gerard Doyle is a definite favorite.  I don't think I would have loved Mark Hodder's Burton and Swinburne series nearly as much without his distinctive voice.



Lucy Scott
Lucy Scott (most known for her portrayal of Charlotte Lucas in the 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice) gives wonderful performances, both with British accents and American.



Joanne Froggatt
Joanne Froggatt of Downton Abbey fame is a fantastic narrator, and is especially good at emotional content.


Barbara Rosenblat
Barbara Rosenblat is just plain fun.  Her witty delivery of the Vicky Bliss series by Elizabeth Peters kept me laughing out loud, and I'm always glad to see her listed as narrator.


Special Mention:
Joe Mantegna gets special mention.  I've never listened to a book narrated by him, but my husband found his performance of The Godfather to be perfect.

Least Favorite:
And lastly, I have to be mean and mention the one I absolutely hate: Xe Sands. If I see that she has narrated a book, I simply do NOT get it, no matter how much I want to read it.

How about you?  If you listen to audiobooks, do you have any favorites?