Thursday, February 2, 2017

Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson

Furiously Happy
Jenny Lawson
5/5 stars

In Lawson's memoir, she shares funny stories of her life along with more serious stories about her mental illness.  The book is often laugh-out-loud funny, but there were also times that I cried.  She encourages the reader to enjoy--be furiously happy in fact--the times that are good, to make memories for the bad times that will inevitably come.

I can't recommend this book universally, as her humor is often what would be considered offensive by some.  Also, as she points out in the introduction, a person without mental illness may not be able to appreciate some of the experiences she recounts.  I'll be brave, thanks to her example, and simply state that I was able to connect with nearly every thing, and even learn from some.

The bottom line is that, with her own brand of humor, Lawson uses this book to let those with mental illness know they are not alone.  Thank you Jenny.


(Note: It's rare for me to give 5 stars.  The book has to be jaw-droppingly excellent or on a literary plane that knocks my socks off.  However, I will admit that I scored this book 5 stars on emotional effect alone.  It's not Slaughterhouse Five or Persuasion, but it hit me right in the gut, and taught me a few things about myself.  That's worth 5 stars as far as I'm concerned.)