Friday, March 19, 2021

The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware


The Turn of the Key

Ruth Ware
2019 
3/5 stars

This tribute to James' the Turn of the Screw begins with Rowan writing from a Scottish prison to a solicitor, begging him to help her prove that she is not guilty of the death of a child.  Rowan explains how she took a nannying position that was too-good-to-be-true, and it became a waking nightmare full of deceit, terror, and strangeness, leading to her trial for murder.  

Rowan is an well-written unreliable narrator, and much of the book is creepily atmospheric with some really good twists.  I was hooked from the first sentence, and expected a great psychological thriller, but, while it was good, it didn't deliver what it seemed to promise.  I felt that the ending came too quickly, also, and was actually a bit of a let down.  I did like it, but not enough to recommend it.

I tried but did not finish another book by Ware (the Woman in Cabin 10) and, despite all the glowing reviews, couldn't stand the drunken, whining protagonist.  I don't suppose I'll try any more of her extremely popular novels.