Saturday, September 4, 2021

The Seven Sisters by Lucinda Riley



The Seven Sisters
Lucinda Riley
2014
3/5 stars

The Seven Sisters is the first in a series that follows a set of adopted sisters as they heal from the loss of their father, consider their unknown past, and make decisions for the future.  This book sets the scene by introducing the sisters and then follows Maia, the eldest who is in thrall to her past, in her quest to uncover her birth-family's history in Rio.

This is not my typical genre (a combo of historical and contemporary romance/fiction) but I enjoyed it.  I did have quibbles with some of the plot, but for the most part found it engaging and intelligent, and with characters I came to care about.  At one point, I feared it was taking a predictable and trope-ish turn, but was pleasantly surprised.  In the end I found the Seven Sisters, if not fully original, both interesting and well-written enough to continue the series.