Sunday, October 31, 2021

October 2021 Wrap-Up

Books Read:
A Hobbit, a Wardrobe, and a Great War by Joseph Loconte (2015)  4/5 stars (my review here)


Death Comes as the End
by Agatha Christie 
(1944)  3/5 stars
When the concubine of a wealthy landowner-priest is found dead, it is ruled an accident, until other deaths begin to occur in the household.  Though set in Ancient Egypt, this is a typical Christie family drama, and enjoyable as such.  While both the characters and the writing are a bit flat, the plot kept me interested, and the solution was satisfying.

Audio Books Completed:
I Found You by Lisa Jewell (2017)  4/5 stars (my review here)

The Worm of Death by Nicholas Blake (1961)   4/5 stars
In this mystery, a London doctor is found dead in the river and, while the police decide if it's suicide or murder, Nigel Strangeways does his own investigating.  This is one of Blake's best, in my opinion, and I found it enjoyable and engrossing, despite the obvious solution.

Have His Carcase
by Dorothy L. Sayers 
(1932)  4/5 stars
This was a reread for me and, despite remembering the solution, I still enjoyed it immensely.  It's convoluted and rather ridiculous in a way, but still intelligent and interesting, as are all the Lord Peter stories.

Wolf to the Slaughter by Ruth Rendell 
(1967)  4/5 stars
Despite remembering part of the solution, I fully enjoyed this reread.  It is intelligent, gripping, and well-layered, with a memorable ending.  Rendell is a master of police mysteries, and this is an excellent example. 

Did Not Finish:
The Pure of Heart by Susan Hill
I mostly enjoyed the first of her mystery series (my review here) and was actually looking forward to this one.  It begins with a child abduction -- which was no surprise as it was mentioned in the blurb -- that would have been tolerable had it been kept at a distance, as most writers do with violence against children.  However, she depicts the nine-year-old's as he cries to go home to his mommy.  I simply could not take that.

When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro 
I'm not new to Ishiguro's style, having previously read four of his novels, but this one meandered and drifted and at 30% I decided I wasn't interested enough in the subject to continue working to keep up with the plot.

The Mystery of Mrs. Christie by Marie Benedict
This was a major disappointment for me.  I've read (and loved) Christie's autobiography, but apparently Benedict has not -- she did not capture Christie's voice or personality at all.  I gave up in disgust a few hours into the audiobook. 

The 22 Murders of Madison May by Max Berry
This started off so solid, and I was really enjoying it, but after several murders of Madison it felt repetitious, and I lost interest.  

Pretty Little Wife by Darby Kane
The premise is good, and I can't fault the writing for the first chapter or so.  It's just that Xe Sands narrates this audiobook, and I've yet to finish a book that she does.  (This will be the last one I try.)  I find her monotone to be grating and she ruins any book for me. 

This Side of Murder by Anna Lee Huber
The historical atmosphere was incredibly unconvincing and turned me off right away.  I read about 15%, though, hoping it would get better.  It didn't.