Monday, October 14, 2024

John Eyre by Mimi Matthews


John Eyre: A Tale of Darkness and Shadow  
Mimi Matthews  
2021
5/5 stars

This is a well-written retelling of Bronte's Jane Eyre, with the genders switched so that the governess is now a tutor, and the employer is Mrs. Bertha Rochester.  Matthews brings the original plot points and characters together in her own version skillfully, creating believable motives, emotions, and outcomes.

But that's not all there is to John Eyre.

In addition, the author has woven in another classic Victorian novel (and one of my top favorite books) to create a completely engrossing tale of horror and suspense.  (I'm omitting the name of said novel to avoid spoiling the reading experience.)  Matthews surprised me with her choice, but her excellent blending of the two was impressive. Overall, the unexpected duo made for a deliciously gothic, absolutely memorable story.

I wouldn't recommend it for every reader, and not even for all fans of Jane Eyre; however, those who enjoy a creepy Victorian melodrama will find this a pure delight.  I certainly did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there and thanks for commenting! Sometimes Blogger flags comments as spam despite my settings, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, it may be that I will have to manually approve it. I look forward to chatting with you!