Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Books On My Shelf


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme by The Broke and the Bookish.

Today's topic is "Ten Books That Have Been On Your Shelf (Or TBR) From Before You Started Blogging That You STILL Haven't Read Yet".

Frankly, this is rather embarrasing!



Dodger by Terry Pratchett
I pre-ordered this one in 2012, and have yet to read it.  I don't know why, but I just haven't!














The Secret of Abdu El Yezdi by Mark Hodder
This was, for me, a highly anticipated sequel in the Burton and Swinburne Adventures.  I started it, but felt like I needed to remind myself more about the first three before I could get into it.  I've never got back around to it--even though I own all the series now.  It's the second youngest of my list, though; I bought it in 2013.




The Rise of the Iron Moon by Stephen Hunt
I loved the two Hunt books I've read, but I just neglected to ever get to this one.  I need to add it to my to-be-read stack.  In my defense, I've only had it since 2009.



The Breaking Point by Daphne du Maurier
Du Marier is a top-ten favorite author, and yet I've had this for at least ten years and not read it.  It'a short stories, too, at which she excells!  As I said before: I don't know why!




The Sword of Honor Trilogy by Evelyn Waugh
Waugh is another top-ten favorite author.  Despite that, I've had these for over twenty years and just never got around to reading them.



An Elegant Madness: High Society in Regency England by Venetia Murray
I'm ashamed that I've yet to read this nonfiction, after I purchased it new in 1999.




The Last Duel by Eric Jager
This was gifted to me, maybe ten years ago, and I started it. It's a highly readable, very interesting nonfiction, and yet. ...  I sat it aside and never returned!





The Pinball Effect by James Burke
Burke's theories are so intriguing and enthralling.  So why have I not read this one ten years later?  I don't know!




Sailing the Wine-Dark Sea: Why the Greeks Matter by Thomas Cahill
After reading his book on the Irish, I bought this one in 2003, but. . . I've not yet read it.




Alva, That Vanderbilt-Belmont Woman by Margaret Hayden Rector
I purchased this biography in 1999 and intended to read it right away.  I didn't.