Monday, May 1, 2017

April Wrap-Up

Another month of Bollywood bingeing means another low reading month.

Books Read:
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (my review here)

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon (my review here)

One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus (my review here)

Here and Gone by Haylen Beck (my review here)

Before Lunch by Angela Thirkell 4/5 stars
Another charming Thirkell novel filled with humor and love.  This one contained a bittersweet story, an angle I'd not seen in her books before.

Cheerfulness Breaks In by Angela Thirkell 4/5 stars
This Barsetshire novel takes place during the first year of WWII, dealing humorously with topics such as evacuees and blackouts, but seriously with romance during the stress of war.  It was sometimes sharply witty, but always charming, with quite an ending.


Audio Books Completed:
For the Sake of Elena by Elizabeth George 4/5 stars
This is a well-plotted and interesting mystery with good character development and a (mostly) believable plot.

The Mistletoe Murder and other stories by PD James 5/5 stars
My only quibble with this collection of short stories is that there were only four of them.  They are great examples of James' ability to tell a strong story with a good mystery.

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith 5/5 stars  (my review here)

Did Not Finish:
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
I really enjoyed another book by him (Britt-Marie Was Here; my review) and was excited to read this one after months on the library waiting list.  It was just too depressing for me at the beginning and I stopped 55 pages in.  I'm sure it will get better, and is probably fantastic, but right now it's just not what I wanted or needed to read.