Friday, February 1, 2019

January 2019 Wrap-Up

Books Read:
A Winter Away by Elizabeth Fair  4/5 stars  (my review here)

Continental Crimes edited by Martin Edwards  5/5 stars  (my review here)

Love Among the Ruins by Angela Thirkell  4/5 stars  (my review here)

The Lessons of St. Francis by John Michael Talbot (with Steve Raby)  4/5 stars
Talbot uses St. Francis to encourage the reader to simplify and to become more spiritual in everyday matters.  Subjects include humility, compassion, service, peace, and prayer.  Talbot writes in a way that is accessible for everyone, and as a result, the book is not a deep one; it is, however, certainly inspiring.

Sergeant Cluff Stands Firm by Gil North  4/5 stars  (my review here)

Murder Has a Motive by Francis Duncan  4/5 stars  (my review here)

The Broken Wings by Kahlil Gibran  4/5 stars  (my review here)

The Old Bank House by Angela Thirkell  4/5 stars
The eighteenth of the Barsetshire series features the residents of Edgewood, where Sam Adams, Labour MP, buys the Old Bank House.  As is with all of Thirkell's novels, this novel is witty, snarky, and thoroughly enjoyable.  It is my favorite of the series, so far.  (Note: this series must be read in order.)


Audio Books Completed:
Justice Hall by Laurie R. King  5/5 stars
Russell and Holmes are requested to help an old friend, and become embroiled in deadly. family politics.  My favorite in the this series so far.  It was well-written, completely engaging, and (with one exception) plausible.

The Adventures of Sherlock  Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle  5/5 stars  (my review here)

Secondhand Souls by Christopher Moore  4/5 stars  (my review here)

The House Sitter by Peter Lovesey  5/5 stars  (my review here)

Strip Jack by Ian Rankin  4/5 stars  (my review here)

Sourcery  by Terry Pratchett  3/5 stars
Sourcery has returned to the Discworld, and is taking over both wizardry, and the world.  Rincewind, much against his will, finds himself the designated hero to restore balance to magic.  Pratchett's novels are always delightful, but this one lacked a little of the usual sparkle, as well as bogging down a bit in the middle.  Despite that, it's a fun read and has some great moments.

Did Not Finish:
I've Got You Under My Skin by Mary Higgins Clark
Clark has often been recommended to me as a good suspense author, so I finally gave her novels a try, and chose this one as it had above average reviews.  While I was quite interested in the plot, I simply could not continue after over an hour of the audio book.  The writing was atrocious -- juvenile and repetitive, with unrealistic conversations and thoughts. I don't know if this novel is a fair representation of Clark's work, but I will never try another to find out.