Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Letters to Malcolm by C. S. Lewis

Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer
C. S. Lewis
1964
5/5/stars

This slim volume is precisely as advertised: essays written in letter form, mainly about prayer.  Petitionary prayers, adoration, and penitence are discussed, as well as other church topics such as Communion, resurrection, the purpose of church services, and Purgatory.
As a Christian apologist, Lewis faces tough issues and gives his opinion unhesitatingly.  Due to his incredible intelligence, some of his arguments are well above my grasp.  However, he often succinctly expresses in words the thoughts that weren't concretely formed in my mind, helping me to pin down my belief on an issue.

I have to say that I didn't care for the format; simple essays would have been better than faked letters with insincere personal details.  That's only a small point, though, as the worth of the book far surpasses any minor irritations.