Monday, July 31, 2017

July Wrap-Up

Books Read:
The Necklace by Claire McMillian 3/5 stars (my review here)

Hide Your Fear by Kevin O'Brien 5/5 stars (my review here)

Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin 2/5 stars  (my review here)

The Black House by Constance and Gwenyth Little 3/5 stars
Henry reluctantly agrees to be bodyguard to his boss's daughter because an escaped criminal is on the loose.  They all end up at house with a moving dead body, a sherry-drinking ghost, and an isolating snow storm.  This wasn't as laugh-out-loud funny as is usual with the Little Sisters, nor was the plot as engrossing.  It's still a fun read, in their particular loony style, but it's just not their best.

Missing Joseph by Elizabeth George 3/5 stars (my review here)

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald 4/5 stars (my review here)


Audio Books Completed:
White Corridor by Christopher Fowler  4/5 stars
Snowed in on the interstate in Dartmoor, Bryant and May must solve a case over the phone for the P.C.U., as well as protect a woman being stalked in the storm.  As with all the series, this is an often witty and generally interesting mystery.  Unlike the others, there are no bizarre supernatural elements to confuse the issue.  This is definitely the best I've read of the series so far.

The Return of the Discontinued Man by Mark Hodder 4/5 stars  (my review here)

The Girl from the Sea by Shalini Boland  4/5 stars  (my review here)

The Adventure of English by Melvyn Bragg 4/5 stars (my review here)

The Sins of the Father by Lawrence Block 4/5 stars (my review here)

The Bloodhounds by Peter Lovesey 4/5 stars
Peter Diamond is a likable character and Lovesey's mysteries are intriguing.  This one included a classic locked room, riddles, and murder.  I had one problem with the solution, but other than that, it was a satisfying novel.


Did Not Finish:
Death of a Travelling Man by M.C. Beaton
The Hamish MacBeth novels are simple fluff, and basically all the same. So far I have enjoyed them to a certain extinct.  I mainly have only been reading them because there are plenty available on audio.  About half way through this one, though, I decided I just didn't care.  So many crimes in one small village just isn't believable anymore, Hamish has become stale, and the mysteries just aren't that interesting.