Monday, December 31, 2018

December 2018 Wrap Up

Books Read:
Private Enterprise by Angela Thirkell  4/5 stars  (my review here)

Silent Nights edited by Martin Edwars  5/5 stars  (my review here)

Murder for Christmas by Francis Duncan  4/5 stars  (my review here)

The Christmas Card Crime and Other Stories edited by Martin Edwards  5/5 stars  (my review here)


Audio Books Completed:
Gunpowder Plot by Carola Dunn  3/5 stars
While Daisy is visiting her friend, Gwen, Gwen's father and a visitor are found dead.  Daisy's husband is called to investigate, with Daisy assisting.  I knew from the time of the murder who and why, and how it would end. There was very little detecting that went on -- it was mainly waiting for the culprit to confess.  The breezy, fun style made it possible for me to finish, though, despite the lack of surprise.

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt   4/5 stars  (my review here)

The Last Woman in His Life by Ellery Queen  3/5 stars
In this 1970 mystery, a millionaire friend of Ellery's is murdered and the three ex-wives are suspects.  This dated novel was not fully believable, but still was mostly entertaining.

The Christmas Hirelings by Mary Elizabeth Braddon  4/5 stars  (my review here)

A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore  5/5 stars  (my review here)

The Ex-Wife by Jen Ryder  2/5 stars  (my review here)


Did Not Finish:
Owl's Well That Ends Well by Donna Andrews
This book was so slow.  It took forever to get through the opening (dull as ditch water) yard sale to the murder, then there was an agonizingly long amount of time spent eavesdropping in a dumb waiter.  At that ridiculousness, I gave up.  I'm extra disappointed because there are 25 books in this series, and I'm always looking for new mystery authors.

Evergreen Tidings from the Baumgartners by Gretchen Anthony
This novel is told in three voices, one of which I actively disliked.  I made it three hours into the audio book, and while I was interested in the rest of the story, my dislike for Richard was too strong for me to finish.

Stats for 2019:
I read 36 books and listened to 57 audio books this year.  According to my Goodreads stats, I read 9,184 pages. My shortest book was 84 pages, my longest was 688 pages. I read a good deal more last year, but listened to close to the same amount of audio books.