Sunday, December 16, 2018

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

The Goldfinch
Donna Tartt
2013
4/5 stars

In this Pulitzer Prize winner, Theo experiences a life-altering tragedy at aged thirteen.  What follows is years of being a victim to bad choices, both his own and those thrust on him.  Told retrospectively, it follows Theo from a happy life in NYC, to a miserable existence in Las Vegas, back to NYC where he becomes involved in shady antique deals and, eventually, the dangerous world of art theft.  The one link to all facets of Theo's life is a painting, the Goldfinch, which was his mother's favorite, and spurs him to make many of his unwise decisions.

This is, foremost, a depressing book, and not one I enjoyed reading.  Despite that, the story was compelling and I had to continue, had to know if Theo would find any hope in the end.  Tartt's strength is in her ability to write details and make a situation uncomfortably real.  That said, there were times when incidents took too long to develop or finish.  It's not a pleasant reading experience, and at nearly 800 pages (32 hours, 24 minutes for the audio book), one must look on the Goldfinch as a commitment.  I was not fully satisfied with the ending, nor did I feel that I had benefited in anyway by reading  this novel; though I have given it a four star rating, it's not a book I would recommend.  Nonetheless, I was impressed enough by Tartt to want to read her other novels.


Note on the audio book: David Pittu was an incredible narrator, with distinguishable voices and excellent emotions.