Saturday, December 1, 2018

November 2018 Wrap Up

Books Read:
The Four Graces by D. E. Stevenson  4/5 stars
This gentle, lightly romantic novel follows several months in the lives of the four Grace sisters living in a village during WWII.  Stevenson writes with charm and warmth, makes her characters believable, and leaves the reader feeling satisfied at the end.

I've been spending more of my spare time working word puzzles than reading this month.

Audio Books Completed:
Death in Holy Orders by P. D. James  4/5 stars
Dalgleish happens to be on the scene when an Archdeacon is murdered in a theological college.  This is, as is usual with James, a highly intelligent, well-plotted mystery with a satisfying conclusion.  This was a reread for me, and I enjoyed it just as much as before.

A Test of Wills by Charles Todd  3/5 stars
Inspector Ian Rutledge, carrying the scars of WWI with him, investigates a murder in a rural village.  This is the first of the Rutledge mysteries, and did an excellent job of introducing him.  The novel was well-written and attention-holding, and the solution quite a good one.  However, not enough information was given in advance so that the reader could solve along with Rutledge, which was frustrating.  I  do look forward to continuing the series, though.

Mort by Terry Pratchett  4/5 stars
I decided to reread the Discworld series, and started with Mort, the fourth book.  In this novel, Death decides to take an apprentice, with the most unexpected outcomes.  As is typical of Pratchett, this is witty, funny, and a delight to read.

They Do It With Mirrors by Agatha Christie  5/5 stars
In this near perfect mystery, Miss Marple is on the scene when the step-son of a friend is murdered.  It is cleverly written, makes sense, and is plausible.  This is definitely one of Christie's best.

My reason for finishing so few audio books this month is that I am half-way through the 32 hours of the Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.

Did Not Finish
Murder at the 42nd Street Library by Con Lehane
At about 30 minutes into the audio book, I wasn't finding it credible or very interesting.  The writing didn't feel polished.  It was obvious from early on that the author had little knowledge of basic police procedures, as well.   I may have missed out on a gem, but Goodreads reviews suggest I am spot on in my quick decision.

Murder in G Major by Alexia Gordon
The main character's is an African-American violinist, named Gethsemane.  I wasn't impressed from the beginning--it was flat and characterless--and after less than hour, I was unchanged except to be tired of hearing her name over and over again.  Others disagree with me, as this has good reviews on Goodreads and Amazon, and won a debut novel award, so take this as the opinion it is.