Tuesday, December 7, 2021

November 2021 Wrap-Up

A lot of Animal Crossing made this a light reading month. 

Books Read:
The Beetle by Richard Marsh (1897)  4/5 stars (my review here)

Island of the Mad by Laurie R. King (2018)  4/5 stars
When the aunt of Russell's college friend disappears, she and Holmes head to Venice to find her.  This is another fun adventure, well-written and intelligent.  I had a problem with one part of the ending, however, hence four stars and not five.


Audio Books Completed:
Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha Christie (1944)  4/5 stars  (my review here)

The Truth About Melody Browne by Lisa Jewell  (2009)  3/5 stars  (my review here)

Flowers for the Judge by Margery Allingham (1936)  4/5 stars
In this mystery, Campion's friend is arrested for murder, and  he races against time to find the real killer.  Despite remembering the solution, I enjoyed this reread immensely.  It's intelligent, witty, and interesting, with a surprise at the ending that seals the book as a solid four stars.

The Case of the Late Pig by Margery Allingham (1937)  4/5 stars
To help a friend, Campion becomes involved in solving a murder.  This was a reread for me, but I still enjoyed it immensely.  The only Campion novel written from his first-person point of view, it's well-written, amusing and intelligent, with a  good twisty solution.

Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy L. Sayers (1933)  4/5 stars
This, one of my favorite Lord Peter mysteries, sees him going to work incognito in an advertising agency to get to the bottom of a supposedly accidental death.  As is usual with Sayers, it's well-written, intelligent, witty, and at times surprising.  I thoroughly enjoyed this reread.
 

Did Not Finish:
When I Was You by Minka Kent
I knew the twist before I finished chapter eight, and, since I already had a bone to pick with the author about her depiction of mental illness, I gave up on this improbable plot.  On a whim, I read the spoilers on Goodreads; I was right on target, though the reason was even more hard-to-believe than I would have imagined.  

Angel with Two Faces by Nicola Upson
I didn't particularly care for the first of this series (An Expert in Murder; my review here) but, having run into several positive references to Upson recently, I decided to try the second book.  I had various problems with it, though was trying to press on, but after a stomach churning domestic abuse scene, I quit.  (I read the spoilers on Goodreads, and I was on the right icky track with my suspicions, but it got even worse than I was guessing.  I'm really glad I didn't read it.)

The Seven Dials Mystery by Agatha Christie
There is nothing wrong with this book, but it didn't grab me as a reread.  Since I already knew the ending, I decided to save it for another time, when I don't remember it so well.