Friday, February 3, 2023

2022 Wrap-Up and January 2023 Wrap-Up

2022 Wrap-Up
Last year was a good year for reading.  My goal was for 75 books and despite those enormous tomes from the Palliser series I passed that, without pushing myself or stressing over it, and finished with a total of 83: 65 audio books and 18 physical books.

some of my stats from Goodreads



January 2023 Wrap-Up

Books Read:
Birthday Party by C.H.B. Kitchin (1938)  5/5 stars  (my review here)

Sherlock Holmes & the Christmas Demon by James Lovegrove (2019)  4/5 stars
This is one of the better Holmes pastiches that I've read.  There were only a few times that Lovegrove gave the great detective lines or emotions that, for me, didn't fit the canon.  The story was well-written and the mystery interesting, with enough twists and humor to keep the book engrossing and entertaining.  Lovegrove has written novels for two other Holmes spinoffs, "the New Adventures" and "the Cthulhu Casebooks", as well as two more in this particular (unnamed) set; I enjoyed the Christmas Demon enough to definitely continue to the next book, and perhaps to check out the other series as well.

 

Audio Books Completed:
The Album by Mary Roberts Rinehart (1933)  4/5 stars (my review here)

The Window at the White Cat by Mary Roberts Rinehart  (1910)  4/5 stars
The plot is complicated to explain, but it is full of drama and mystery, with good twists, funny moments, plenty of red herrings, and a satisfying solution.  It's written in Rinehart's signature witty style with much cheeky "had I but known" foreshadowing, and as such is a delight to read.

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (1811)  5/5 stars
No need to write a plot synopsis, or "review" a book this well known.  It's a (4th? 5th? 6th?) reread, and I find I love it more each time.  Austen's dialogue is fantastic, and her sharp wit and (sometimes overlooked) snarky humor are often laugh-out-loud funny.  Those that see it as only a romance are perhaps missing Austen's sardonic social criticism, her main focus on sisterly love and affection (reread that final sentence), and her brilliant studies of the characters, even some lesser ones.  While it's not my favorite Austen, it's still a five-star read.

A Dead Liberty by Catherine Aird  (1986)  3/5 stars
Though full of Aird's usual wit and strong, entertaining writing, this short mystery is only average, with an easy-to-solve crime and a not-fully-convincing tying-up of ends.  

The Virgin in the Ice by Ellis Peters (1982)  5/5 stars
This is a complex and satisfying mystery taking place in the High Middle Ages, which, though a reread, held me gripped throughout.  Peters is known for her excellence, and this is a strong example of why.  The plot, the characters, and the historically accurate atmosphere all combine to make it engrossing, enjoyable, and memorable.
  
Did Not Finish:
The Wisdom of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton
I found the first volume of Father Brown stories to be a mostly-entertaining four-star read.  These, however, did not have any sparkle or charm, despite my desire to love them.  I made it through six-and-a-half of the twelve stories and dreaded continuing, so I cut my losses and quit.