Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Top Five Wednesday: Published Before the 2000s

This week's Top Five Wednesday challenge is for books published before the 2000s, a super-easy topic for me!   I picked only five-star books that I haven't featured lately in reviews or discussions.


1. King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (1885)  
I wrote an in-depth review here, so I won't say much other than I am a huge Haggard fan-girl.  His novels are exciting, fun, and generally well-written, and this is the best of them all.
H. Rider Haggard



2. Modern Instances by Ella D'arcy (1898)
This is a magnificent collection of short fiction by a master of the genre.  I wrote a detailed and glowing review here.
Ella D'arcy



3. Pemberley Shades by D.A. Bonavia-Hunts (1949) 
This is the best Jane Austen pastiche/sequel that I've read. My full review is here.  Sadly, I've never been able to find reliable information on the author.


4. Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (1952)
Loved this one, and pretty much all that I've read by Pym.  My thoughts and discussion for the Classics Club are here.
Barbara Pym



5. The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy (1958)
Oh my gosh, ya'll, this book!  I laughed so hard, so often.  My full review is here, and I even included a favorite passage.  (Disclaimer: I read this book nearly ten years ago, and taste does change, so I can't guarantee that I'd love it that much now.  Read at your own risk.)
Elaine Dundy