Monday, September 30, 2024

September 2024 Wrap-Up

Books Read:
The Greek Coffin Mystery by Ellery Queen (1932)  3/5 stars
While the solution was convoluted, it was still a good mystery with a well-done surprise.

Death Reports to a Health Resort by P.J. Fitzsimmons (2024)  4/5 stars
This latest volume in the Anty Boisjoly series sees Anty out to save his Uncle Pim from being arrested for the murder of a health resort doctor.  It's fun, clever, and as delightful as the rest.

Princess of Shadows by A.G. Marshall (2016)  4/5 stars
original title: The Princess and the Pea
This is an enjoyable Sleeping Beauty retelling, with a fun use of tale of the princess and the pea, as well.  The world building was above average, it is generally well-written, and I found the plot to be engaging throughout.  I'm looking forward to continuing the series.

Poisoned: Snow White's Story by Mary Mecham (2022)  3/5 stars (my review here)

Juniper Bean Resorts to Murder by Gracie Ruth Mitchell (2023) 3/5 stars
This is a combo of rom-com, two mysteries, and a few serious themes.  It's not my usual genre, and there were loose ends and unanswered questions, but I still found it to be an enjoyable, light read that kept my attention throughout. 

The Love That Made Mother Teresa (Special Canonization Edition) by David Scott (2016)  4/5 stars
Scott explores the scant biographical details we have of Mother Teresa, explains her vision, and discusses her "dark night of the soul".

The Fall Back Plan by Melanie Jacobson (2023)  3/5 stars
When Jolie returns to her hometown with a chip on her shoulder and plans for revenge of sorts, she is shocked to find that her high school enemy, the delinquent punk Lucas, has reformed and is now the Sheriff.  This is a generally enjoyable rom-com, with Jolie coming to grips with the past and learning to forgive, and growing as a character.  Lucas was less than dynamic, and the plot was predictable, but it was still fun, light read that kept my attention.

Scarlett and the Dark Woods by Mary Mecham (2023)  3/5 stars
This is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood that takes place in a dystopian world, with some humor and a light romance.  Mecham gives a good twist to the traditional tale, but there isn't a lot of depth to the story.  Despite that, it's still a fun read. 

The Vanishing at Loxby Manor by Abigail Wilson  (2021)  4/5 stars
This is a layered mystery with light romance set in Regency England.  It  generally kept to the feel of the times, had appealing characters with realistic motives, and an interesting story.  The plot twist was good, though I did guess the solution early on. (I blame that on 40+ years of reading mysteries, though, and not any fault of the author.)  Overall, it was compelling and enjoyable. 

Beauty and the Baron by Joanna Barker (2019)  3/5 stars
This novella is advertised as a Regency retelling of the Beauty and the Beast, but contained very little of that tale.  As it was so short, there was very little development of either character or plot.  It was still a sweet story, and I'd certainly be willing to read a full-length novel by the author.

Black Plumes by Margery Allingham (1940)  4/5 stars
Allingham, author of the Campion adventure-thrillers, kept me guessing in this stand-alone mystery.  There are many viable suspects, a good amount of false clues, and several possible motives.  The characters aren't fully developed, but the tension and the uneasy atmosphere is excellent.  Overall, it's engrossing, well-written, and entertaining.
Tuchman

Audiobooks Completed:
A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century by Barbara W. Tuchman (1978)  5/5 stars
In this nonfiction classic, the two-time Pulitzer Prize winning author uses the life of a French nobleman, Enguerrand de Coucy VII, as a way to explain and discuss the high and low points, daily life, pivotal events, and important figures of Western Europe in the 14th Century.  Despite its length (over 700 pages), it is an excellent general overview of the topic, easy to read, coherent, interesting, attention-holding, and accessible to the layman.   

Henry IV: The Righteous King by Ian Mortimer (2007)  4/5 stars    
According to the author, King Henry IV has been misrepresented throughout the ages, and Dr. Mortimer seeks to correct that view with this detailed biography.  It is interesting overall,  with only a few dry patches, and is generally easy to follow.  The arguments were logical and most often convincing.   I do like that Dr. Mortimer keeps the more "personal opinion" discussions of this book confined to the appendices to be read or ignored by choice.  While I didn't find it as engrossing as Mortimer's Henry V: The Warrior King of 1415 (my review here), I still would definitely recommend it to my fellow medieval armchair historians.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (1908)  5/5 stars
I love this sweet novel better every time I re-read it! It's well-written, tender, fun, full of emotion, and an overall joy to experience. (The movie doesn't come close to the excellence of the book, by the way.)

Did Not Finish
1939: The Last Season by Anne de Courcy (1989)
The interwar years are of great interest to me and I'm a social history junkie with Britain as my preference, so this should have been a home run.  It was not.   I listened to six chapters, but there didn't seem to be anything to tie it together; it was a string of society gossip, details from primary sources, and tidbits of social history, one after the other, with no cohesion.  Maybe if I stuck with it longer, the build up to the war would have become the thread to hold it together, but I just couldn't.  On a personal note, I wrote a paper similar in topic and nearly identical to style once, and my college professor gave me a C, remarked how disappointed she was with my effort, and said she had expected more from me.  I now know how she felt.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there and thanks for commenting! Sometimes Blogger flags comments as spam despite my settings, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, it may be that I will have to manually approve it. I look forward to chatting with you!