Friday, March 3, 2023

Book Blogger Hop: 3/3/23


The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly feature hosted by Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.  A bookish prompt is given, for the dual purpose of giving the blogger a topic to discuss, and a way to find other book blogs to read and follow.

This week's prompt asks "Have you joined Libby"?  Short answer: Heck, yeah!

Long answer:  Libby is a app used by library systems for the free loaning of e-books and digital audiobooks.  Overdrive is the classic version, where audiobooks are actually downloaded to the PC, then uploaded on an mp3 device.  With Libby, the audiobooks are either streamed through the app or downloaded to the app (mobile or PC) for listening (point being, they can only be played through the app).  My library system still offers both, and I prefer to download them through Overdrive to manually put on my iPod or phone, so I technically am not using Libby, but the point remains the same -- without the library, I couldn't support my audiobook habit!  I listened to 65 last year, with the majority being library loans.

The library has been my friend as long as I can remember.  When I was a young teen, I volunteered during the summer, shelving books.  The librarians gave recommendations to this voracious, precocious reader, so that I was introduced to Agatha Christie ahead of most, developed an early (and lifelong) passion for Regency England through Georgette Heyer, and was encouraged to read classics long before high school.  I owe a lot to Jill and Mary.