Friday, March 24, 2023

Book Blogger Hop: Are books a must-have in your home?

  The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly feature hosted by Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.  A bookish prompt is given, for the dual purpose of giving the blogger a topic to discuss, and a way to find other book blogs to read and follow.


Today, the Book Blogger Hop question is: "Are books a must-have in your home?"  Well, yes.

Erasmus by Dürer 

I grew up having my own bookcase, and by early teen years it was overflowing.  When we moved to a new house when I was in high school, I was given larger shelves, and I filled them full that very first year with a trip to the library used book sale. That's the point when I fell in love with antique books, vintage paperbacks and any book, in fact, old or odd. My husband is a reader as well, and our first conversation about finances was me telling him that I didn't care how much we spent on books  -- we'll work around any thing else after books.  After all, as Erasmus said:
When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.
That's how our marriage started more than twenty years ago, when we combined our two libraries.  Now. . .  Well, here are two of our shelves.  The one on the left side of the hall is nonfiction; the right side is fiction.  As you can see, we are totally out of space there, and our other rooms have full smaller shelves as well.



So, yes, books are a must-have.  In fact, despite our current wealth of books, we went to the county library's annual used book sale yesterday, and came home with a nearly complete matched set of 1909-1910 Harvard Classics, missing just two of the fifty volumes.  I had to empty two shelves in the living room to accommodate them, but it was worth it!