Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Top Five Wednesday: My Husband Chooses


The husband and I, on a train.

This week's Top Five Wednesday challenge is to have someone else pick the books that will be featured.  Seeing as his taste is nearly a polar opposite to mine,  I've asked my husband for five favorites, in order to showcase books that I never would otherwise.  He has read each of these multiple times and highly recommends them.  I can't say, as I've not read any of them!  (The links go to Goodreads.)

  • Gone to Texas by Forrest Carter  (1973)
    He says, "If you are a fan of the Josey Wales movie, read it, because all the great lines are there.  It's what the West really was, is a better tale than Lonesome Dove, and has as satisfying an ending as I've ever read."

  • The Godfather by Mario Puzo (1969) 
    He says, "It's a book that's bigger than it's pages.  It inspires as much thought as any schoolbook. Sprawling, great tale."

  • Catch-22 by Joseph Heller  (1961) 
    He says, "The most war-like anti-war novel.  It's written so well that you have to think about it to realize that it's anti-war, anti-military, anti-establishment."

  • The Stand by Stephen King (1978) 
    He says, "Immensely readable! It's plausible, it's real people; it's also a stark black-and-white good-and-evil battle. It's extremely well-written with many characters, but still easy to keep up with."

  • Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith (1957) 
    He says "This is the book that turned me on to the Civil War.  It's a great book about a young man who grows up, who finds love, and duty, and honor, and in equal measure, dishonor and hatred."