Saturday, March 11, 2023

Spell the Month with Books: March 2023

 



Jana (Reviews From the Stacks) hosts a monthly event called Spell the Month with Books in which you spell the name of the month with book titles that fit the monthly theme.  For March 2023, the theme is "spring";  I've increased the challenge for myself by only using books I own. 

My choices are:
M -- Maris by Grace Livingston Hill
A -- Absent in the Spring by Mary Westmacott
R -- (A) Room with a View by E.M. Forster
C -- Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey  
H -- (The) Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Maris by Grace Livingston Hill (1938)
What is more spring-like than a wedding?* As a young-to-middle teen, I loved Grace Livingston Hill's novels, and I read them over and over again.  As an adult, I've collected all she wrote, partly for a love of the retro covers, and partly because sometimes I just need a old-timey fluff novel.  While it's been who-knows-how-long since I've read Maris, I can guarantee it's a light, gentle, and clean Christian love story. 
*(Okay, I know, it's a tenuous connection to the theme, but I struggled with this letter since I wanted to use a book I owned. It does look like it might be a spring wedding. . . )





Absent in the Spring by Mary Westmacott (1944)
This 4 star read is an obvious choice.  Westmacott was the pen name that Agatha Christie used for her non-mystery, character-driven novels.  My review is here.  It's a thought-provoking book, not exactly "enjoyable", but definitely memorable.





(A) Room with a View by E.M. Forster (1908)
This classic  begins in Florence in the spring, with the second part taking place in England a few months later.  It's a favorite of mine, and even the film is great (which is rare in a book-to-movie).   My last reread was some time ago, so I have no review to link.  I will just say that it's an unforgettable coming-of-age story, novel of manners, character study, and romance that is well worth reading.





Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey  (1932)
What a stunning novella this is!  It takes place on a March wedding day, so it fits perfectly with the theme. My glowing five-star review is located here, so I'll only briefly note that it has moments of pure perfection, and that I reread it as soon as I finished the last page.





(The) Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (1937)
Bilbo starts his adventure in the spring, and experiences a sort of spring awakening himself, making for such a satisfying reading experience.  My last reread of this one was also some time ago, but no review is necessary for such a well-known treasure.
 



*I discovered this through Marianne from Let's Read.