Sunday, March 26, 2023

Six For Sunday: Yellow

Six for Sunday is a feature by Steph at A Little But A Lot

This week's  Six for Sunday  topic is "yellow books".  What a cheerful springy color!  I know I could have picked any yellow tomes, but I wanted to be able to share a photo, so I used books I own.


1.  The Whispering Rabbit and Other Stories: Margaret Wise Brown, author; Garth Williams, illustrator (1965)
I'm reusing this book from last week's post, because it was the first one to pop into my mind.  Despite it's well-loved condition, that lovely yellow cover is still bright and cheerful!




2.  Men of Iron by Howard Pyle (1891)
This 1919 edition came from the library's used book sale back in the late 1980s.  The dust jacket is cracking a bit at the spine, but otherwise, it's still in good shape and quite yellow.




3.  The Flight of the Falcon by Daphne du Maurier (1965)
The color of this original 1965 dust jacket didn't photograph well, but it's a rich goldish-yellow.  Du Maurier is one of my favorite authors.  Her unique plots, excellent writing, and talent for twists make her books fascinating, engrossing, and sometime even unsettling.




4.  Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (1883)
This is the 1986 Oxford Pocket Classics edition, a nice range of yellows.  I've never read this book, nor seen a movie version, so I only know what I've picked up through reference in other works.  I don't know that I will ever be moved to read it, but I love this little edition.




5.  The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady by Edith Holden (1977)
This lovely little volume is the posthumous printing of British artist Holden's 1906 nature journal, gorgeously illustrated with her drawings.  My 1982 copy is a softcover of a pastel shade of yellow.



6.  The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby  (1997)
Bauby's haunting memoir tells of the stroke that left him with locked-in syndrome. He dictated it, letter by letter, by blinking his one responsive eye when his helper spoke the correct next letter.  I was so moved by it, that I gifted it to everyone that year I read it.


So, there are six lovely yellow books from my shelves -- do you own any or have any favorites of that shade?