Friday, March 31, 2023

March 2023 Wrap Up

Books Read:
No physical books this month, though I have been reading quite a good one that I'll be able to report on in April.

Audio Books Completed:
As is apparent, this month I have been indulging in a binge reread of the Russell/Holmes series. 

A Monstrous Regiment of Women
by Laurie R. King (1995)  4/5 stars
When I first read this in 2018, I gave it three stars, saying that it was still like fan-fiction and was so slow to start that I nearly abandoned it.  While I still agree with the first statement, I disagree with the later.  I enjoyed this immensely this time around, and found the gradual build-up of plot to be most satisfying.  Perhaps it's because it's a second reading (though I remembered very little about it), or maybe it's because I've become used to King's style over the years, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

A Letter of Mary by Laurie R. King (1996)  4/5 stars
Laurie R. King
I also first read this third in the series in 2018, gave it three stars, commented that the writing had greatly improved but said that I was disappointed with the ending.  The writing is considerably better than the previous two, but I wasn't let down by the denouement this time.  Granted, the mystery itself wasn't as exciting as earlier ones, but it is still intelligent, interesting, and compelling.  I was completely invested in the characters and fully engaged in the plot, despite the obvious solution.  As a result, I've raised my rating to four stars.  

The Moor by Laurie R. King (1998)  4/5 stars
In this entertaining mystery-adventure, King skillfully blends her original ideas with both canon Holmes and historical fact, creating an interesting, engrossing story.  I enjoyed this reread just as much, despite remembering some of the plot.

O, Jerusalem by Laurie R. King (1999)  4/5 stars
I skipped this one after a few chapters my first time reading the series, because I didn't think I would be interested in it.  Then, when I started the next book (Justice Hall, see below), characters from O, Jerusalem featured and I regretted my decision.  This read through, though, I did not skip it and I ended up loving it!  It fills out an adventure alluded to in the very first book, when Russell was still Holmes' apprentice. They ventured to Palestine on a mission for Mycroft, and became involved in a most dangerous adventure.  This is a vibrant story, full of interesting characters, well-written suspense, and darn fine storytelling.  Once again, King weaves her original character with both world history and Holmes' canon into a believable fabric.  By this time in her career, King's books are polished, much less like fanfiction, and completely enjoyable.

Justice Hall by Laurie R. King (2002)  5/5 stars
This one knocked my socks off when I first read it and I think I loved it even more this time.  It's not so much a "novel of suspense" as is general with the Russell/Holmes series, as it is the story of families -- the love, pride, and devotion engendered by family members, family history, and family name.   World War I features largely; it's an area of great appeal to me, which no doubt added to my enjoyment, but may lessen that of other readers without said interest.  I found it engrossing, moving, and deeply satisfying; it's definitely one of my favorites of the series.

Note: I recommend this series whole-heartedly for fans of Holmes or historical mystery, but strongly recommend reading them in published order.